Sunday, September 28, 2008

Magic and Potty Training

Magic and potty training... unfortunately, the two aren't related.

A good friend *wink, wink* asked why I didn't go into exactly what Little Bit's teacher told me she had done to get the 5 word sentences. So, here is what she (and I) did. She provided him with a physical prompt. As she spoke the words that she wanted him to repeat, she tapped him on the arm. Little Bit then repeated the words and tapped himself. I did the same thing and it is so cute to watch his little wheels turn. As he uses the sentences, he taps his chest. A part of me wonders if this crutch could be a bad thing, I envision a 40 year old Little Bit hitting himself in the chest as he talks, but I'm so grateful to hear the words that I'm not going to focus on that. I'm sure that the prompts will fade with time just like the other prompts that we have used.

Now onto potty training... I should have posted yesterday while I was excited. Little Bit successfully "tee tee'ed" in the potty once yesterday! It was exciting and we celebrated wildly. However, it was a long day. We took him to the potty every twenty minutes. I had high expectations for today. I wanted him to "tee tee" in the potty at least once but we haven't had any luck. I'm sad to report that he wet his pull-up within five minutes of getting off of the toilet on three different occasions this morning. It feels like we are constantly in the bathroom and the reality is that we probably need to visit the little boy's room more often. Sigh, I think potty training might be more difficult on me than the whole autism thing.

1 comment:

Lena said...

Potty training is something I dread, even in an on-target child. I consider myself lucky to have gotten off easy with Nathan. I'll send some patient thoughts your way! :)